Our new facility provides space for cutting edge research to be conducted locally. It is our vision that this facility will attract the best and brightest researchers from industry and education sectors. The Center provides convenient and efficient research facilities that foster an atmosphere of collaboration and innovation in nuclear energy and wireless technologies.
The two-story facility officially opened in August 2011. The Center provides more than 30,000 square feet of space, with roughly 70% dedicated to industry research, 20% dedicated to education and community outreach and 10% for administrative support. The Center is designed to achieve LEED certification and occupies about 6-1/2 acres of a 28-acre parcel in the New London Business and Technology Park in Bedford County.
Key Elements of the Facility
- Fully configurable nuclear power plant control room simulator.
- High-performance computing capability and supporting, connected visualization lab to support the development of three-dimensional simulation models of plant operations.
- Six 20 x 32 ft research labs.
- Support space for up to eight research faculty and 16 research assistants.
- Cognitive radio test room and 100-foot antenna tower.
- BWX Technologies Integrated Systems Test (IST) Loop.
- A “Science Made Visible” design theme.
The CAER celebrated its Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting ceremony on Thursday, August 25, 2011.