Why We’re Here
The Center for Advanced Engineering and Research is a regional economic development initiative to grow an industry-focused regional research and development center that drives the development of innovative products and processes by providing local access to university and federal research and inventions.
We are an industry-led research organization that creates a research university environment to foster knowledge creation, facilitate technology transfer, improve the scientific and engineering workforce, and serve as an “innovation intermediary” to benefit the regional industry.
The CAER targets growth industries and high-tech industries in the Lynchburg region and throughout Virginia and works to establish effective and beneficial relationships between these industries and major R&D resources, resulting in innovation and the practical implementation of innovation in the region’s industries and professional development opportunities for scientists and engineers. As a result, the CAER continues to drive a shift from traditional economic development activities to Technology-Based Economic Development (TBED) activities in the region.
- Establishment of an industry driven alliance directing research in support of area companies.
- Increase in the amount of knowledge creation in the region.
- Increase in the amount of technology transfer and commercialization in the region.
- Improve the level of the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) workforce in the region.
- Improve the long-term prospects of both existing and prospective technology-based employers in the region.
The CAER is organized as a 501-c3 non-profit research and educational corporation incorporated as the Region 2000 Research Institute. It was originally started as a project under the Center for Advanced Engineering non-profit educational organization.